Wednesday, May 13, 2015

At 25


This is the first time in my life that I didn't want to be a year older. I still can't think about the number 25. It freaks and stresses me out to no end.

This picture was taken right after my parents sang a duet version of "Happy Birthday" just so I could make an official wish. Fingers crossed it comes true this year!

I now have 4 pairs of jelly sandals (plus a broken pair I can't quite part with), and it brings me unceasing joy. P.S. This Avett Brother's song is the best reference to 90s footwear ever.

A shiny new credit card now sits in my wallet. Building a credit history was a grown up decision, but was only a side benefit of wanting to spend my savings on an international trip and not pay exorbitant foreign transaction fees. I'm counting it as a win.

Lately, I've been thinking that I should become a mademoiselle librarian or archivist.

Going to concerts by myself is no longer a "feat." If I want to hear something live, I'm going to go either way.

Random people have started to set me up on blind dates. This confuses me because none of the guys I actually know have asked me out. I'll probably write more on this later.

I have tried persimmons and Sweetos.

I've lost a lot of my flexibility--I can't do the middle splits that well anymore--but I can still do back-handsprings and a respectable number of push-ups.

I'm working on learning to say no and do what's best for me. It's really hard for me to not feel overwhelming guilt when I let people down in any way. It's not because I want them to be pleased with me; it's just that I feel bad that they have to deal with extra or feel anything negative. I've realized that I would do anything if I had the excuse of doing it for my husband or family, but I can't make the commitment to move or switch careers or make any real changes just for me. And that's not right or fair, especially because I have no idea what my future timeframes look like. I'm continually trying to convince myself that I can create my own life.

I think art is the fastest way to change people.

This year next year I plan to read the Feminine Mystique to refine my arguments against the movement.

Seriously! I can't believe I'm reaching the mid-twenties mark. 

No comments:

Post a Comment