Monday, April 6, 2015

General Conference

This last weekend was The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' semi-annual General Conference. It is a chance for members of my church to hear from our living prophet and better understand the Lord's counsel. With so many social issues that bleed into religious life, these conferences can provide some clarity. In a world growing in darkness and festering in cruelty, it is also a boon to my optimism.

I read this scripture a few weeks before General Conference and found it to be right on time.

"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16)

It's beautiful and powerful imagery. Never in the history of the world have the disciples of Christ had more outlets to spread the message. We have to be stronger than the opposition in order for this to work to its full advantage.

I have to strengthen my faith and standards. I cannot waver. I have to use my intelligence.

In my brief studies of world religions, I've never found a church that makes as much logical sense as the LDS faith. While we don't have all of the answers, we are promised that one day we will. We are also encouraged to seek answers now. The mysteries of God aren't hidden to man or reserved for the few. God's precepts are absolutely necessary for wisdom--they are eternal and transcendent.

I like the juxtaposition of the serpents and the doves. Peace infused with a bit of bite. The truth can be uncomfortable, but is often less-so with a kind delivery. I also like the idea that we we will come in unassuming but that a lot will be accomplished despite the perceived frailty. It's easier to bet on a winner if you have the truth of the matter, and I know that Christ's church is thriving on the earth today. Good people are doing good, wise things. I'm striving to share my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment